Laurel Oak Specs
- Scientific Name
- Quercus laurifolia
- Common Name(s)
- Laurel Oak
- Southeastern United States
- Average Dried Weight
- 46 lbs/ft3 (740 kg/m3)
- Specific Gravity
- Basic: .56, 12% MC: .74
- Janka Hardness
- 1,210 lbf (5,380 N)
- Modulus of Rupture
- 14,330 lbf/in2 (98.8 MPa)
- Elastic Modulus
- 1,793,000 lbf/in2 (12.37 GPa)
- Crushing Strength
- 6,980 lbf/in2 (48.1 MPa)
- Radial: 4.0%, Tangential: 9.9%, Volumetric: 19.0%, T/R Ratio: 2.5
- Has a light to medium reddish-brown color, though there can be a fair amount of variation in color. Conversely, White Oak tends to be slightly more olive-colored, but is by no means a reliable method of determining the type of oak.
- Has medium-to-large pores and a fairly coarse grain.
- Rot Resistance
- Red oaks such as Laurel Oak do not have the level of decay and rot resistance that White Oaks possess. Durability should be considered minimal.
- Easy to glue, and takes stain and finishes very well.
- Has a tell-tale smell that is common to most oaks. Most find it appealing.
- Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, oak has been reported as a sensitizer. Usually most common reactions simply include eye and skin irritation, as well as asthma-like symptoms.
- Slightly less expensive than White Oak, Red Oak is in good/sustainable supply and is moderately priced. Thicker 8/4 planks, or quartersawn boards are slightly more expensive per board foot.
- This wood species is not listed in the CITES Appendices or on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
- Common Uses
- Cabinetry, furniture, interior trim, flooring, and veneer.
- Laurel Oak falls into the red oak group, and shares many of the same traits as Red Oak (Quercus rubra). Red Oak, along with its brother White Oak, are commonly used domestic lumber species. Hard, strong, and moderately priced, Red Oak presents an exceptional value to woodworkers—which explains why it is so widely used in cabinet and furniture making.
Laurel Oak Turning Blank Prices
$4.40Call to Order
$9.90Call to Order
$6.88Call to Order
$9.90Call to Order
$2.47Call to Order