Mora Yellow Turning BlanksBuy Online
All Turning BlanksShop Now
Mora Yellow Specs
- Scientific Name
- Mora excelsa, M. gonggrijpii
- Common Name(s)
- Northeastern South America (primarily Guyana and Suriname)
- Average Dried Weight
- 63 lbs/ft3 (1,015 kg/m3)
- Specific Gravity
- Basic: .80, 12% MC: 1.01
- Janka Hardness
- 2,300 lbf (10,230 N)
- Modulus of Rupture
- 22,550 lbf/in2 (155.5 MPa)
- Elastic Modulus
- 2,790,000 lbf/in2 (19.24 GPa)
- Crushing Strength
- 11,950 lbf/in2 (82.4 MPa)
- Radial: 6.7%, Tangential: 9.9%, Volumetric: 17.7%, T/R Ratio: 1.5
- Heartwood is light to medium reddish brown. Wide pale yellow-brown sapwood is clearly demarcated from heartwood.
- Has a straight to interlocked grain, with a medium to coarse texture. Good natural luster. Endgrain: Diffuse-porous; large pores in no specific arrangement, few; solitary and radial multiples of 2-3; heartwood deposits present; narrow rays faintly visible without lens, normal spacing; parenchyma vasicentric,lozenge, winged, confluent, and marginal.
- Rot Resistance
- Mora is rated as durable to very durable, and also has good resistance to insect attacks.
- Pieces with interlocked grain can be difficult to work, frequently resulting in tearout during machining operations. Mora also has a pronounced blunting effect on cutting edges.
- Mora can have an unpleasant and sour odor while being worked.
- Mora has been reported to cause respiratory irritation.
- Mora is used within its native range, and is only occasionally exported. When available, prices should be moderate for an imported hardwood.
- This wood species is not listed in the CITES Appendices or on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
- Common Uses
- Flooring, boatbuilding, heavy (exterior) construction, and turned objects.
- Not to be confused with a striped Guatemalan wood that is also sometimes marketed as “Mora,” which is almost universally mislabeled as Maclura tinctoria. Mora excelsa can be distinguished by a more uniform and consistent color, as well as a coarser texture and an unpleasant sour odor when being worked.
Mora Yellow Turning Blank Prices